Motivation Tips to Keep You Dedicated.
We all do it...lay in bed at 6am wrestling with our brains, desperately trying to find any excuse that will allow us to ditch the workout we planned and stay warm and cozy under the covers; guilty. I do it almost every morning even though I know that as soon as I am out of the door and half a mile into a run, I will be so glad I am up and making the most of the morning. Being an athlete requires dedication and a desire to push yourself, even when you would rather stay in bed. But, pushing through that barrier is what sets you apart from others and allows you to achieve your goals. Remind yourself of that during your next wrestling match and use these simple tricks to help keep you motivated:
1. Find the time of day where you feel your best and make working out routine at that time. Getting your workout out of the way first thing in the morning is ideal and gives you less opportunity to make excuses later, but some people are not their best in the am. Find the time that works best for you.
2. Visualize your goals...whether it’s to fit in your favorite jeans again or PR in your upcoming race, setting goals and thinking about them when you need motivation will help you get your butt out the door.
3. Find something amazing to listen to on your phone while you work out. Having an awesome new playlist, podcast, or a riveting Audibles book will give you something to look forward to and help motivate you out the door.
4. Make plans to work out with friends as much as possible so you are accountable to show up
5. Have a plan. Even if you are not training for anything specific map out a schedule for your week and keep a log. When you have an exact number of miles that you want to hit in a week it will help motivate you to not skip a workout and fall behind. Also, have a backup plan for bad weather. If you know there may be a chance of rain or snow find a spin or yoga class that could work as an alternative to whatever you had planned.
6. Dress for success. Make sure you have the right clothing and gear to keep you warm and protected against the elements. Nothing will deter you quicker than knowing you will be cold and miserable.
7. Have coffee brewed and a delicious pre-workout snack ready for you when you get up. I am always motivated to get out of bed when I know there is coffee and food waiting.
8. Find a motivational mantra that works for you:
- Pain now. Wine later
- Nobody ever regrets a workout
- The body achieves what the mind believes
- Even a bad run is better than no run
What tricks do you use to stay motivated?